Friday, November 24, 2023

A Regret

 There is one day in the whole year that I have feelings of regret! Thanksgiving Day is difficult for me because my small family lives in California and I live in Colorado. We try to visit each other on Thanksgiving with me flying to California or they come to Colorado. No matter if here or there the first thing I do is attend mass to begin the day. 

The regret I have on Thanksgiving Day is not having a large family! Seeing Facebook postings of large families around the table fills me with sadness. I am fortunate to have wonderful friends who "adopt" me during this holiday. On other years I have spent Thanksgiving with at least four different families and it is all right, but not the same as being with my very own family.

During Covid, it was not bad because everyone seemed to be spending the holiday alone or with their immediate family. The saying of misery loves company is true because I did not feel bad when everyone was spending the holiday alone! This year of 2023, I felt the need to be with family even though I had been invited to two different homes, I had decided to spend the day alone.

The sadness began when I saw the postings of how much fun everyone seemed to be having in different homes. Phone calls were nice and I enjoyed texting with my family but the feeling of loneliness bothered me. I am always alone, but never lonely, except on Thanksgiving. That depressing feeling lifted around six in the evening and today, the day after the holiday, I am okay.

I still ate turkey, mashed potatoes, corn casserole, cranberry sauce, and sweet potato pie. I gave special thanks to God and prayed for peace. Not quite the same as being surrounded by noise of family or friends, yet it got me through the day! Today I have leftovers and it amazes me how feelings can change in a day!

"We can always find something

to be thankful for, no matter what

may be the burden of our want or

the special subject of our petitions."

Albert Barnes


No comments:

Post a Comment