Friday, November 17, 2023

It's A Small World

After I decided to have a floor refinished, my son-in-law from California found a name of a person in Colorado who worked on floors. We noticed that the young man was punctual when we met him and he seemed to be honest with a nice personality. When looking for someone to work on your home one never knows who will show up! The date was set, and he began working on refinishing the floors in three rooms and every day we chatted about our lives. I enjoyed talking with him and found him to be nice and friendly. I got to know him and his family and he learned about me and what I do. I happened to tell him about volunteering at my church, Spirit of Christ Catholic Community, and he told me that his aunt was a parishioner at Spirit of Christ. I looked her up in our church directory, but her name did not come up.

The following day he mentioned that he spoke with his aunt and when he mentioned my name she had remarked that she knew me and that she had traveled to New Mexico on one of my trips. I asked him again what her name was, and he said that his grandmother's name was "Mabel." Immediately I remembered his grandmother and his aunt, and I said, "Yes, she wore a lot of turquoise jewelry!" And his reply was, "Yes, that is my grandmother who raised me!" 

I recalled how sweet his aunt was on the trip and what a lovely lady she is every time I see her and we stop to chat. His grandmother was impressive and fun to talk with and here they were, related to the young man doing the floors! It was like finding a lost friend! I laughed and told him, "Well, gee whiz, we are almost related!"

"Your aunt is a friend of mine and I see her at church all the time! In fact, I will probably see her on Thursday at our Young At Heart Thanksgiving dinner!" I liked the young man and how dedicated he is in working to make my floors look better. And now that I know who he is related to, I liked him even better. We both found it strange how we were closer to each other than we thought! 

What amazed me about the young man was his work ethic. Reminded me of an older person who grew up in the 30's and in fact, some of the things he said reminded me of my father. I mentioned it to him and he said, "My grandfather took me to jobs when I was a tiny tot and I learned what I know today from him!"

It's really a small world when two lovely ladies traveled with me and I got to know them, that the young man found by my son-in-law to do the floors was related to them, and how great my floors were looking! I really believe that God has a hand in our daily lives. I give thanks that a worker hired is now a friend and I have spectacular looking new floors!

I would recommend First Step Hardwood Flooring to do the work on any floor because I know the finished product would be excellent!

When the floors were done, we finalized the three days we were together by taking some photos!


"There is just one moon and one golden sun,

and a smile means friendship to everyone.

Though the mountains divide 

and the oceans are wide,

it's a small world after all."

Richard B. and Richard M. Sherman

No comments:

Post a Comment