Friday, August 3, 2012

Attacked by a Dresser and a Wall

Rearranging the furniture in my bedroom gave me a feeling of accomplishment and I felt as if I had a brand new room.  I switched the pictures of three grandchildren to the opposite wall except I was missing one nail to hang the fourth child's picture.

My Grandchildren,
L-R  Nicolette, Zachary, Ariana and Brenna


 I found a nail and got the hammer and as I struck the nail into the wall, two of the pictures bounced off the wall and fell behind the large, wooden dresser.  I now had two pictures hanging and two pictures behind the dresser.

My arm slid easily between the dresser and the wall and as I grabbed one picture frame I realized that my arm was stuck.  My upper body was stretched out over the top of the dresser so I had no way of moving the dresser or the wall.  No matter how I twisted my arm, the dresser and the wall would not release my arm. It felt as if a vice had grabbed my arm and tightened its grip! I pulled and thought my skin was going to peel right off  my arm.  I turned my arm left, then right, then pushed against the wall, but could not get my arm out.

Soap or grease would help release my arm but there was no way to move away from the dresser to go find soap. The phone was on the other side of the room so I could not call for help. All I could do was rest my body on top of the dresser and feel fear enter my mind.  What if I could never release my arm? Would anyone think to look for me? I had a vision of my skeleton being found and the puzzlement of those who found me trying to figure out what I had been doing to end up in such a position.

Panic began to set in.  I said a quick prayer to St. Anthony and began to squeeze my arm with my free hand.  Amazing how the fatty part of my arm moved around but not enough to free my arm.
If something goes in isn't it logical that it has to come out?  I had now been struggling for over 20 minutes but it felt like hours.  There was nothing to do but yank and rip my arm out.  Even if my skin stayed on the back of the dresser, I would pull as hard as I could. The movie 127 Hours came to mind and I wondered if I might have to cut off my own arm!

I pulled as optical illusions played tricks on me.  Did my arm move?  Was it higher than when I realized it was stuck? Twisting, turning, pulling, shoving, and tugging I was determined to pull my arm out. In a painful yank my arm was free, skin intact! 
Bruises after the dresser/wall attack!

I finished hanging the pictures.  A red blotch appeared on my upper arm.  By ten at night I had a motley array of  tiny bruises.  Tomorrow I will probably have one big purple bruise. Now that the ordeal was over, I found it odd that it had happened! I do know that no matter what I drop behind that dresser, it can stay there forever because I will never, ever reach behind the dresser again!

No comments:

Post a Comment