![]() |
| Visiting Chimayo
|
I began working for the Archdiocese of Denver at the Hispanic Office in 1998 and one of my duties was to plan and take pilgrims on a yearly pilgrimage to the Santuario de Chimayo in New Mexico. I did this for ten consecutive years and many of the pilgrims traveled with me every year. When my position was abolished in 2008 I know that the trips were missed because I continued getting phone calls from my loyal travelers asking me if I would do another pilgrimage. I really thought those days were over for me until about three weeks ago, I received a call from a past pilgrim wanting to know if I would help plan a trip to the Santuaro for their Holy Name Society group. Could God, once again, be nudging me?I have spoken with the President of the Holy Name Society and he is to let me know whether there will be a pilgrimage to Chimayo. I get excited thinking about taking a group to San Luis, Taos, Chimayo and Santa Fe because I remember those fun and inspirational trips.
I returned to the Santuario de Chimayo in 2009 with a group from Holy Ghost Church and found that there had been some changes. There was a museum next door to the Santuaro, the small chapel of El Nino de Atocha had been updated and there were marked parking areas for the many visitors.
In one of the booklets I prepared for the pilgrims, I wrote: "Chimayo is a place where one can be spiritually renewed. A place to be physically and spiritually healed. Where problems can be lifted. Where answers can enter your mind. Where you heart is filled with happiness. Where one is filled with peace. Where miracles happen."
|
| Cristo de Esquipulas in the chapel.
|
![]() |
| Side altar at Chimayo |
![]() |
| Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel |
All of the photos are from 1991. In later photos
the colors are more vibrant
after a massive cleanup
of the altar screens by local artists.
The Chapel of Santo Nino de Atocha is now different.




No comments:
Post a Comment