Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Dinner at Costco

I made a terrible mistake to go shopping at Costco at 4:30 p.m.  It wasn't quite dinner time and lunch had been four hours earlier.  I had gone to order some prints in the photo section and while I waited for the photos,  I wandered around the store.  I spotted a lady with her hair up in a net, clear disposable gloves, and a small table in front of her. She told me that I had to taste the cheese spread. It was Gouda with jalapenos and tomatoes on a cracker. How could I resist?  It was tasty and not spicy at all.  A few aisles down, another lady pushed some health drink in different flavors.  I took the orange flavor as she told me it had Vitamin C and no artificial preservatives.

A man and I spotted one-inch twists that looked like Twizzlers only fatter in a dark brown, almost black color. It was licorice and as we eyed the goody, the lady put another one out and said, "Here we go, let's not fight over it, though it is good enough to fight over!" The man and I grinned at each other as we ate our yummy licorice.

Near the chips, a small paper cup was filled with pencil like crunchy tubes.  I was told it was some kind of vegetable chip.  A flavored green drink went along with the different colored, crunchy vegetable tubes. I continued looking around and found a woman cutting up chunks of different kinds of cheese.  I took a cheddar chunk. I smelled something frying and went to investigate.  "Try this delicious Jimmy Dean sausage....it is good now and better for breakfast," she said and the sausage was full of flavor. My next stop was at a quesadilla spot....melted cheese between two toasted tortillas.

The pizza sampling place was popular and a customer had three children she was feeding.  When I got to the display, the sample lady said, "Just a moment and I will have more....just need to cut some up." Before long she had six small cups filled with one inch diamonds of pizza. I grabbed mine and moved on. The toasted bread tasted like homemade and I wished I had the chunk of cheese to eat with it. And maybe a little wine....but I noticed that no wine was being offered as a sample!

A Hummus mix on a cracker,  a cupful of nuts, a small Almond joy, a piece of a high fibre bar with chocolate on the bottom and nuts on top, and a carbonated drink completed my sampling. My eating frenzy ended with a piece of hard candy that I was told would "be perfect for Halloween!" I was full and knew I would not be eating dinner.  Costco knows how to entice the hunger customers and even though I did not buy any of the products, I did see many that did. 

I picked up my photos and recalled a saying my mother used to say, "Pansita llena, corazon contento!" (Full stomach, happy heart!)

No comments:

Post a Comment