Sunday, September 4, 2016

Am I In Germany?

The Black Forest restaurant serves fine German and American food and it is located about one hour away from Arvada. I remember when the restaurant was between Blackhawk and Central City and around the year 2000 the restaurant moved to Nederland, Colorado.

The large building, looking like an Alpine Lodge was built in Nederland after the move, yet the authentic German food continues to be served. I really do not know what authentic German food tastes like, but as my friend and I were outside reading the menu, a lady said, "If you want real, authentic German food, this is the place. I have eaten in Germany and this place is very close to what they serve in Germany." A brochure explains that many long-time patrons consider the dining experience to be one of the best in the country.



Going up the warped, wooden steps and hanging on to the splintery hand rail, we made our way to the entrance. As we entered the restaurant, I
could see that the large place had few customers. The ambiance is of a hunter's home with many elk and deer heads on the walls.


Our late lunch began with a green salad and red cabbage. I ordered the Filet of Stroganoff  ($18)  and my friend ordered the Fresh Calf's Liver ala Berlin. ($13.50) and we shared an apple strudel with ice cream and whipped cream. Delicious and different!



The room we were in had a lot of glass; windows and ceiling. The bright room had tables made from what looked like trunks of trees, throughout the room there were thick tree trunks from floor to ceiling. On one wall a water fall gurgled pleasantly amidst lots of greenery. I found the room to be very comfortable and we were able to converse because it was quiet. The room is known as the Garden Room, yet, the brochure mentioned a meeting room, a hunting room, a lounge, and rooms for a casual meal or for fine dining.



My friend told me about a Carousal in Nederland so after eating, we headed out to see the Merry-Go-Round. When I saw the beautiful animals and heard the lively music, I knew it had to be another blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment