Who would have thought that about an hour's drive from Arvada, there would be a large musical Carousel with colorful animals going up and down? Even though I have lived in Arvada for many years I did not know of this fun and interesting surprise! One of the workers said, "Maybe you did not know of our Merry-Go-Round because it has only been here about six years."
How the Carousel ended up in Nederland is a story in itself. Cards covered in cellophane hang around the circular building and give the entire story about the Carousel. I will paraphrase what I read:
While in Vietnam, a Marine. Scott Harrison, had a small music box that he would listen to and he would picture a merry-go-round in the mountains. When he heard there was a frame in Utah for sale, he purchased it and brought it to Nederland. It took him twenty-six years to carve the many animals that would be in his carousel. On Memorial Day, 2010, the carousel opened and it was dedicated to fallen veterans. Two of his Marine friends have a place of honor in the round building.
Every kind of animal imaginable is scattered throughout the round building and even if you don't ride, it is an interesting and fun place to look at all the creative creatures. To ride the carousel costs one dollar and Scott hopes it can always stay at that price for children young and old!
The music, which is not the typical calliope merry-go-round music, is upbeat and happy and played on a 1913 Wurlitzer band organ. I thought the Carousel of Happiness is an appropriate name because it did make me happy to hear the music, to see the beautiful, colorful animals and to see everyone smiling and enjoying going around and around!
What a charming story and beautiful Carousal!
ReplyDelete