My fifty year old carpet will end its life on September 6, 2016. If my carpet could talk, imagine all the stories it could tell! It has been through a lot and still looks great. Why am I having it taken out? Because the dark green carpet is outdated! It has managed to stay looking good after raising two children, visits from four grandchildren, four dogs, parties, friends, spills, and my feet walking on it all those years. You would think that where heavy traffic passed over the carpet that it would be threadbare, yet it looks exactly the same as when it was put down. Underneath the carpet I have hardwood floors and I feel it is time to pull the carpet up and get my floors stained and polished. After all, if I don't like the wooden floor, which I am told is oak, I can always re-carpet.
Around 1965 hardwood floors were not popular and everyone seemed to be carpeting their floors. Now, it seems that wood floors are the in thing! After it is all done, I will blog again and show everyone the transformation!
I have removed all the pictures from the walls, taken lamps out, and anything I could carry into other rooms. I am ready!
September 6, 2016 around 10 a.m. the two men arrived ready to pull up my carpet. They moved the big stuff out of the room; couches, television, and end tables. Interesting to see them cut through the carpet every 36" and then peel back the pieces. They rolled the carpet pieces up and took them outside. Then they did the same thing with the mat. The floor looked great after everything was removed. I thought they were done but the hard work began next. With a spatula type tool the floor was gone over to remove any staples. Then one fellow with a heavy hammer like tool began striking the wooden braces along the edges and I could hear him grunting. For about an hour there was a lot of noisy banging. All I could think of was that it was back breaking work.
A large push broom was used to sweep up any debris. And then the noise began! A large sander began working its way across the room and the noise was like a jet running its engines. Once sanded the floor is a light wood and it looks great. Next the water-base covering will be put on and after about fifteen hours I will be able to walk on it. So far, I am pleased with my move of ripping up the dark green carpet and letting the natural wood be exposed.
"So glad I got the green rug up,
because this is more my type of cup.
My feet enjoy the wooden floor
a thousand and more times more!"
Looks great! Have you hung the disco ball yet???
ReplyDeleteNot yet but I am pleased with the floor!
ReplyDelete