Friday, October 21, 2016

Pay It Forward

A small loaf of banana bread was given to me yesterday by a  friend. I thanked her as I said, "Looks good, but I am not eating sweets." I handed the loaf back to her and she put it back in my hand with these words, "I know you can't eat it, but pay it forward."

My thought was to stick it into the freezer until someday in the future when I might begin eating sweets again. But, when I visited a friend who is a care taker for his ill wife, I thought I would give it to him. The look of thanksgiving on his face made me realize I had made the right decision. His wife had been a great cook and did a lot of baking until she became ill. He probably missed the goodies she would bake and have around the house.

A priest came to visit him and my friend offered him a cup of coffee with some of the banana bread.
The priest told him that he goes to many homes and very seldom is he offered anything. My friend said he could tell the priest appreciated the coffee and bread.

Little did my baking friend know that her banana bread brought joy to me, to my friend and to a priest!

Image result for image of banana bread

"A purposeful act or extension of
kindness to another is never
wasted for it always resides
in the hearts of all involved
in a chain of love."
Molly Friedenfeld
t

2 comments:

  1. Paying it forward was probably even better than eating it...You definitely made the right decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's was one of those moments when everything falls into place!

    ReplyDelete