Monday, December 5, 2016

A Poem Dedicated to His Wife

When someone loses a loved one, a memorable dedication of a poem helps the one left to cope with the loss. I can understand this type of release because I also like to write out my feelings. This poem was written in Spanish by a husband who is devastated by the loss of his wife.  He asked me to help him translate it into English. Though the words in Spanish seem to have more meaning and flow in a rhythmic pattern, below is as close as it can be in the English version.




It Was Only A Dream

You traveled away from me to go to a beautiful and tranquil paradise
where your body will rest for eternity.
Because of my selfishness I tried to hold you back
but was left with my empty arms extended.
I forgot that life
 Is only a dream!

Like a river that slowly dries
I feel full of resentment; my soul is shattered.
I try to hold back my sobbing that tears my heart apart.
A constant flame of loneliness
burns and consumes me!

As the years fade away, my love for you will grow stronger;
as I remember our vows.
At your side, the world was a land of enchantment.
I love your unforgettable image
 that consoles and comforts me!

Our profound love is etched in my memory,
and for you, love of my life, I dedicate this sweet melody.
That is why one day when I depart
those that will remember me
will whisper in my ear:
 It was only a dream!


Mico
November 2016




1 comment: