Wednesday, June 27, 2018

A Colorful Butterfly

Today I heard a story of a beautiful, colorful butterfly who lived in an area with many brilliant colored butterflies. He got bored and decided to fly to another place where he met up with the grey  moth who could not fly. "Why can't you fly," he asked. He was told, "Because I do not have any color on my wings." The colorful butterfly reached over and placed his wing on the dull looking moth. Before long, the moth began to get color on his wings. Once he had his wings all colored he was able to fly away. The sad part was that the original butterfly slowly lost his color and would soon die.

The butterfly was compared to the eighty-five year old man who passed away on June 11, 2018. His funeral was today and even though I do not look at the dead in the casket, I did take a peek at the man. I could not believe how handsome he was as he rested on the satin cushions and appeared to be sleeping. I remembered the first time I saw him about seven years ago. He was singing in the choir and he stood out because he was handsome and very striking. He reminded me of  a cross between Perry Como or Dean Martin and the thought entered my mind that he looked like someone I might like to get to know better.



I would see him around the church and always liked his Italian look. When his partner passed away I went to the funeral and at the reception I offered my condolences. He put his arms around me and thanked me and told me how much he would miss his partner. The feeling I had was that the man was warm and friendly and he spoke to me as if we had been friends for a long time.


He never lost his good looks even when I would see him with oxygen and in a wheel chair. And now he has gone to his final resting place. I heard he loved flowers and there were many flowers at his mass. I read the obituary and was amazed at all he had done in his life. Ice skater, actor, waiter, degree in cosmetology, singer, veteran, dancer, and it seemed that no matter what he did, he was loved. At the mass I heard he "never met a stranger."





Descriptions floating around were: warm, talented, friendly, humorous, diverse, and interesting. He made everyone feel loved and welcome, enjoyed his flowers, loved to sing and anything Italian. I would add that he was a handsome man outside as well as inside!

Back to the butterfly. The priest described the exciting man to being like the colorful butterfly, flying around and touching many who did not have color in their wings and giving them a touch of beautiful. As he gave away his color he slowly faded away but left his color on those he met.

I have fought the good fight,
I have finished the race,
I have kept the faith.
Now there is in store for me
the crown of righteousness,
which the Lord, the righteous
Judge, will award to me on that 
day -- and not only to me,
but also to all who have longed
for his appearing.
2 Timothy 4:7-8


1 comment: