Monday, June 4, 2018

A Train Ride

What do you say when you receive a phone call asking if you would like to go on a train ride at the Royal Gorge. "My daughters purchased four tickets for our family to go on this train ride and now one of my daughters will not be going and we would like for you to take her place." How could I refuse this great offer!

Sunday morning we left Arvada, traveled to Canon City and ended up at the Royal Gorge. We found out that the train does not leave from the Royal Gorge but leaves from Canon City. We piled back into the car and drove down to the train depot in Canon City in time to pick up the tickets and board the train. As we got on the train, a photographer took our picture and even though we had our own cameras and could take our own pictures, I could not resist buying the $25 photo.



It was exciting to be traveling for two hours along the Arkansas River and to have lunch served to us while gazing at the beautiful scenery. The workers were friendly and informative while pointing out Rocky Mountain sheep that blended in with the mountain or letting us know some historical fact about the area. It was difficult finding the sheep but a big thrill when I did see them. The ones I saw had their rears pointed at the train and I am not sure what that meant!

I read that the train is from the 1950's and it is one of the tourist attractions that draws crowds. I like when the heavy doors from one car to another are opened that the clicking of the wheels can be heard. There is an open air car that I did not visit because I was afraid my baseball cap would fly off
my head so I stayed indoors in the comfort of the dining car. My friends went out to the open air car and took pictures and came back and gave me a report on seeing the bridge high above us and how the scenery was so much better than looking out the window. It must have been spectacular because looking out the window was pretty exciting and beautiful!


It was fun watching the rafters below us as they would wave at the passing train. In some areas the water looked calm but in other areas there were a lot of white caps. I thought it was pretty daring to see a lone man in a kayak.


Even though I know the family missed the one daughter that did not go, I was happy that she was in Mexico visiting family and glad that they had asked me to travel with them!  The eighteen year old daughter did all the driving and I got her the little bear for a souvenir.


Here we are waiting for lunch to be served and enjoying each other's company. A wonderful day full of God's beautiful scenery and wonderful friendship!

"What a lovely ride that was.
I haven't been on a train in an eternity. 
Something wonderfully soothing 
about traveling that way."
Aiden Donnelley Rowley

No comments:

Post a Comment