Saturday, June 2, 2018

Graduation

My great grand-nephew graduated from the Denver Biblical and Catechetical School on Sunday, June 2, 2018. The mass was at the Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Denver at ten in the morning. I drove into Denver about an hour early and was so glad I did. There are no parking spaces near the Cathedral. I did see a few lots but they charged ten dollars and I was not about to pay that amount to park my car. I drove up and down the narrow streets until I spotted one and was able to park about two and half blocks from the Cathedral.

The outside of the Cathedral has barricades, scaffolding, wood panels and people have to walk through the tunnel made by the materials. The sides and front of the Cathedral are protected by the wood panels and canvas. The inside of the Cathedral is beautiful in white though I thought the altar looked a bit dingy, more grey than white. The stained glass windows are huge and small on all the walls. The Cathedral is outstanding with pillars and arches.
 

As the graduates walked in, the procession seemed never ending. I counted three hundred and thirty three names in the program. Mass was celebrated by Most. Rev. Jorge H. Rodriguez, the Auxiliary Bishop of Denver with eight priests or Deacons on the altar with him. When the organ played low notes I could feel a vibration in my stomach and when high notes were played my ears objected to the loud, high sound.

The Cathedral was full with family and friends coming to see the graduation. After mass and the graduation ceremony, where each name was called, given a diploma and a shake of the hand by the Bishop, a reception with cookies was held at the Knights of Columbus Hall.


"Catechists are people who keep the memory
of God alive in themselves and they
are able to revive it in others."
Pope  Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment