As we drove unto the dirt road leading to the church we could see the church sitting on top of the hill. We also needed to find a bathroom and when we saw a Native American woman coming out of a building, carrying plates of food, I asked her for a bathroom and she said, "The Community Center has a bathroom."
Entering the Center, we were surprised by the friendliness of the people milling about in a large room. Immediately we were approached and asked to have something to eat and to drink. Many of the men wore vests or caps with military emblems. I asked what the celebration was all about and was told, "We are celebrating Memorial Day and the veterans. We went to the cemetery and placed flags on all the graves."
My son-in-law ate what looked like possole and fry bread. My daughter, granddaughter and I had watermelon. They gave each of us a bottle of water. A very welcoming and friendly group and my daughter said, "My, they sure made us feel welcome!"
The priest told us a story that he had heard about graves being unmarked with no headstones to prevent evil persons from digging up the grave looking for valuables. The Indian motifs on the walls had birds painted and he told us that possibly they were to mark where someone was buried.
Inside the church my daughter commented on the mud-packed floors and she said it reminded her of the missions in California. I thought the vigas (wooden beams on the ceiling) were nice and polished,
and my granddaughter liked a little dog that was running around outside. I have some old pictures of the inside of the church and was surprised with the altar chairs because they are regular kitchen chairs used in the past and also today. It is a fascinating little church and I can imagine my ancestors sitting in the wooden pews.
To me, this was a highlight of my trip to New Mexico and I hope that my daughter and granddaughter felt the same pride I did in visiting the church where our ancestors worshiped!
"Our history begins before we are born.
We represent the hereditary influences of our race,
and our ancestors virtually live in us."
James Nasmyth
No comments:
Post a Comment