Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Two Dogs

When my family in California was going to be gone for a few days, I went to take care of their two dogs. They are both Border Collie mixes and each has a personality of its own. I knew this by my visits in the past, though this was the first time I would deal with them by myself.

The day I arrived the day was clear, the sun was shining and the mountains were snow covered. It was a beautiful welcome to California. I was told it happened to be the first day that it had not rained after having a week of cold and rain. I hoped the sun would continue to shine and that it would be warm on my visit to California. On the day I left to go to California I heard that the Denver area had lots of snow and it was seven degrees below zero!


Both dogs were waiting for me and were looking through the metal fence to see me as I got out of the car.
They are on a schedule of feeding between 6 and 7. 
 Morning walk. 
Outside for awhile. 
Bring in and they sleep.
 I was to make sure the water bowls were filled.
Give them a treat.
Take for an afternoon walk.
Feed at 5.
Put them out to do their business.
Keep them indoors after 7 because of coyotes.
Bed time.


These dogs are so smart that they reminded me when it was time to do whatever they were supposed  to do. They sit and stare at me when it is time to be feed. Amazing how their look makes me realize they want something. I found myself talking to them and one makes noises as if talking to me. One evening I dozed in the comfortable leather chair and felt a hard nose pushing against my thigh. I opened my eyes and both dogs were sitting beside the chair staring at me. Once they had my attention they walked to the door to be let out.

When it was time to go for a walk they would go to the front door and I would say, "Do you want to go for a walk?" I swear it looked as if they were nodding. They stood still while I put on their leads, wrapped a green baggie on the lead and off we'd go. One dog felt the need to do her thing and I had to put her thing in a green plastic bag. My daughter's final words before she left were: "Be sure and pick up if one of the dogs poops....neighbors do not like finding poop on their lawns and they might even film you if you don't clean up after the dogs!"  That was all the warning I needed!  
One dog is a sniffer and has to sniff ever blade of grass, tree, hydrant, wall or bush. The other one is not too much of a sniffer and walks more than he sniffs. For two days we followed the schedule but on the third day it was raining and I kept them in doors except for short breaks when I would let them out.  That afternoon when I went out, my granddaughter came to walk the dogs once the rain had stopped.

Below are the many faces of two wonderful dogs.  They are good and obedient pups and easy to watch. I enjoyed myself with these two dogs that seem to enjoy doing everything in tandem! They walk together, eat together and sleep at the same time!











And here I am interacting with my great grand dogs!




"Dogs do speak
but only to those
who know how 
to listen."
Internet

1 comment: