Thursday, April 9, 2020

Easier Than Making Tortillas

Yesterday, Fr. Greg gave us, via Facebook, the meaning of Holy Week. I have been aware of what happens on the three days before Easter, but never was it explained so clearly as Father's virtual
Catholic Conversations. Holy Thursday gave me a whole new vision of what the day was all about and I decided to follow some of his suggestions.

"Clear off your dining room table, cover the table with a white tablecloth, place a Crucifix, Bible, a basin with water and a towel." Those suggestions were all manageable and on Thursday morning I followed his instructions as I thought about the last days of Jesus' life.

The Seder meal would be a bit more difficult because I did not have a lamb shank! Or, he told us, anything with a bone in it, like chicken. This would represent the Paschal Lamb and the sacrifice to save us. Roasted egg would represent waiting for spring or a new beginning but any egg dish would work. I am hard boiling some eggs for my Seder meal. A bitter herb could be horse radish or parsley because sin is bitter. Apples with walnuts are the mortar, salt water to represent the tears of the people, unleavened bread (Matza), and wine. I decided I would bake some unleavened bread and found it much easier than making tortillas. Flour, oil, salt and water and flattened with my hand and bake for about 8-10 minutes. I ate one with apple butter and liked the flavor. If I ever run out of bread, this bread would come in handy!
At the meal, read Exodus from the Bible and Father suggested washing each others' feet as a sign of humility. After all, Christ washed his disciples dirty feet! That will be difficult to do when one is alone in isolation!

Growing up, and I may have blogged about this already, I remember that on Monday and Tuesday there would be a lot of house cleaning and cooking. Thursday we spent in church and trading food with neighbors. I still remember my Aunt Lala's macaroni and cheese. My Mother would make bread pudding or sweet rice to trade. I remember the Stations of the Cross and the Passion being read while we stood and listened and it seemed to go on forever. There was no music at home, I gave up chocolate, and I remember feeling sad. We were told it was a time of prayer. All I knew was that Jesus had died and we were in mourning.

Lent, in those days, ended on Saturday, called Glorious Saturday. A dance at a local State Armory would be held, I ate chocolate, and everyone was happy. On Easter Sunday we dressed up in new clothes and went to church hoping to find a place to sit. That is how I remember Holy Week. Now I have more of an idea of what happens on the three days before Easter.


"Knowing the Bible is one thing,
Knowing the author is another."
Unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment