Thursday, April 2, 2020

What Else Is There To Do?

After cleaning out drawers, discarding clothing no longer needed, reading, and being on the computer, what else is there to do? I don't know about anyone else, but I have become hooked on Netflix. As I scroll through the many titles on Netflix I pick those that I think look interesting or that  could be entertaining. I go from detective, comical, documentary, drama, and love stories to historial and true biographies. Some of the series last from two to eight weeks of constant watching. I suppose most can be called soaps but once I get hooked I must watch until the end. I am listing some of the stuff I have watched; some great and others pretty bad!
    1.      Velvet: The final movie of a series I had watched earlier. Felt good to get closure!
    2.      Self-Made: Inspired by Madam C.J. Walker re her cosmetics for black women.
    3.      Chocolate: Korean love story.
    4.      Dr. Foster: mismatched couple
    5.      The Grand Hotel: Lives of owners and guests of hotel
    6.      Morocco: Love in time of war - nurses during the Spanish War
    7.      All I Wish - looking for love
    8.      Cathedral of the Sea -Spanish historical novel
    9.      Dean: Father and son struggle with death of wife/mother
    10.      Ala Vajkunthapurramuloo: Indian move about switched babies at birth
    11.      The Occupant - man tries to take over another man's life - thriller
    12.      The English Game: Soccer, Written by Julian Fellows who wrote Downton Abbey
    13.      When Calls The Heart - Romance between school teacher and Mountie
    14.      The By Gone: Native American girls sold to oil men
    15.      Horse Whisperer with Robert Redford 
    16.      Unfinished Song: Tear jerker of a chorale member who is dying of cancer
    17.      Holiday: two girls switch homes in Los Angeles and England
    18.      Holie Goalie: Monks and soccer, sacrilegious
    19.      Broadchurch: Mystery of a young boy who is murdered; continues with different        stories
    20.      Eugenie Nights:  Wife abuse plus forbidden love
    21.      Badland:  western
    22.      Tiger King  wild animal preserves, PETA, 
    23.      Road to Perdition: Tom Hanks, Paul Newman; gangsters
    24.      Indian Horse: hockey; Indian children sent to white schools   
    25.      SAFE: Detective mystery
    26.      El Silencio es Benvenido: In Spanish,  slow moving ride through Mexico
    27.      Cadillac Records: Black musicians and singers 
    28.      Kapoor & Sons: two brothers from India; love story, infidelity 
    29.      Some Kind of Beautiful: Love Story
    30.      W/E: Two stories - Duke of Windsor
    31.       I Don't Know How She Does It: Working, married, children     
    32.       The Five: Mystery of missing boy and DNA shows up at another murder
    33.       Anne With an E: Great series of adolescents growing up
    34.       Love, Wedding, Repeat: Silly movie re love
    35.      The Killing of the Sacred Deer: Weird, Nicole Kidman in story of doctor killing a a           boy's father and what he has to do to make up for it.
    36.      Angel Has Fallen: Plot to kill president-lots of shooting
    37.      Polka King: Jack Black as Ponzi schemer Polka King Jan Lawan - true story
    38.      Cable Girls:
For a few hours, or sometimes a lot of hours, I am transformed into a different life and become one of the characters in a story. I get upset, angry, cry, and sometimes yell at someone's stupidity! Some of the stories are mediocre while others are well-plotted with great acting. Being in isolation would be extremely boring without Netflix and that chance to escape into fantasy worlds!

"Life is a banquet
and most poor suckers
are starving to death."
From Auntie Mame


No comments:

Post a Comment