Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Passwords Are A Pain

No matter how many times I write down my password, it seems that I can never open a program that asks for my password. Yesterday my family and I were going to use ZOOM to connect with everyone in my family. It is a video communicating program for video and audio group chats. "It's free and easy to use," I was told so I decided to join.

I received a link in my e-mail from my daughter and clicked on it and it sent me to Zoom Rooms. I clicked on that and it asked for my password. I used what I thought was my password but I was declined. Then I went to my second e-mail address because that password has been the same for ever. Nope it did not work either. After half  an hour of trying different  passwords, I was rejected over and over again.  I contacted my granddaughter in San Francisco because she knows everything about the computer, cell phones and electronic means of communication. I tried everything she suggested and together we tried to get me on Zoom with no success. Finally she said, "Without seeing your computer there is no way I can fix whatever is wrong."

I must have six or seven passwords for a program but all of them were wrong. I finally got a new password but even then I could not connect with my family in California. We solved the problem when the six of us went on our phones on Face Time and we were able to talk and see each other.

Trying to remember passwords is a pain and even though I write them down with the date when I get a new password, some programs just won't open! I sometimes wonder if it is a ploy for me to apply for a different password. This evening I did get on to ZOOM and tomorrow I will try to connect with my granddaughter for practice. If I can get on with her, then I think I will be able to do group chats!

"Treat your password 
like your toothbrush.
Don't let anybody use it, 
and get a new one every six months."
Clifford Stoll


Last evening I got into one of my accounts and was thrilled that finally my password worked.This morning I tried the same account, and guess what, I was unable to get in. After three tries with exactly the same password I had used the night before, I was locked out and now I have to contact the company to get it straightened out. I repeat, passwords are a pain!

No comments:

Post a Comment