Saturday, September 26, 2020

After A Seven Month Hibernation

 On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, the Young At Heart group met at a mass at 11:00 a.m. It would be the first time that some of the people had been out since the Covid 19 pandemic and the first time to see friends. All those attending wore masks so it was hard recognizing many of them since some had let their hair coloring fade to white. It was a shock to remember people that we remembered with dark hair and now they were sporting grey or white tops!

Mass began and I counted about one hundred people in attendance though I wasn't positive of the number; more like an estimate. Mass was wonderful for me because for the past seven months I had watched it on my lap top. I debated on receiving communion because it would have been nice to receive the sacrament of Reconciliation before I received the body and blood of Jesus again. The next thing I knew, I was walking down the aisle and praying that if I had any sins that they be erased so that I could receive communion. As I put the host into my mouth I knew what I had been missing by watching the electronic masses. There is a peacefulness that I get knowing that Christ is within me.

The priest's final words, after greeting us and letting us know that every fourth Tuesday at 11:00 a.m. a mass would be celebrated for the group, he reminded us that we should not congregate as we left the church! I believe it is called going in one ear and out the other because everyone gathered outside to greet, hug, shake hands or elbows and receive a chocolate for their birthday. I felt guilty lining everyone up, with no social distancing, for a birthday picture. Hopefully, the masks are enough to protect us from the horrible Coronavirus!



Some of the Board members and other YAH members went out for lunch at 3 Garcia's Mexican Restaurant. This restaurant has a large patio that overlooks Hidden Lake so everyone felt safe with no fear of picking up the virus. Of course, only time will tell and the warning we get is to quarantine for  fourteen days and then for sure we will be safe. That is unless people continue socializing and a germ can be picked up somewhere else!



Even with the threat of an airborne germ floating around, we enjoyed our lunch and talking to friends. I pray that God watches over us and keeps us safe because I have read that socializing is good for the soul!

"There is no greater

predictor of human well-being

than the amount of social time

we spend with one and other."

Tom Rath

No comments:

Post a Comment