Saturday, September 5, 2020

Fooled By A Title

My Planet by Mary Roach is a book I would never read. I knew I would not enjoy the book chosen by my book club. A book about natural wonders of our earth or maybe about exotic animals that roam the land or possibly a book on astrology that I felt would be to scientific and I would not enjoy. I prefer fiction and pretend stories to reality. Especially now that we are in a pandemic I want to be taken away into imaginary worlds!

The introduction to My Planet is about Mary Roach writing for The Reader's Digest and had over sixty articles published. Maybe if I had read the whole title, it might have made a difference. My Planet: Finding Humor In The Oddest Places might have given me a clue that it might be a book I would enjoy! It has nothing to do with our planet but a hilarious series of short vignettes about her way of seeing every day happenings. Her husband is in many of the stories dealing with their differences! Many of the short stories I could identify with and her humorous life made me laugh at some of her ramblings. There is no subject that she leaves out and writes about many things I, and maybe you, have thought about also.

If anyone needs a chuckle this is one book that will make you laugh!

"My books are not really books.
They're endless chain of distractions
shoved inside a cover."
Mary Roach

No comments:

Post a Comment