Thursday, October 15, 2020

Alebrije

 When I first saw word Alebrije I had no idea what it meant or from what country it had originated. In parenthesis was written how to pronounce it. Ah-le-bree-heh and it is a Mexican form of art using paper maché. Later, the art form was made of wood and the pieces are not cheap! I have seen this type of art in museums, Botanic Gardens, Airport, Chatfield Farms and now in Thornton. I love the colorful, silly looking animals!

When a friend mentioned that the artist, Oscar Becerra-Mora, would have a display at the Any Think Library in Thornton, I decided to go see the art work called Dios Perro.  


The colorful work of art stands almost fifteen feet tall and weighs 140 pounds. On the Internet I found more information about the meaning of Dios Perro (God Dog). "Depicts the Aztec Diety Xólotl, the brother of Quetzalcóatl, charged with guarding the sun as it passed through the underworld."

Also from the Internet I learned that the artist that came up with the idea of the mythical animals was Pedro Linares. While he was ill, he dreamt of weird mystical creatures yelling "alebrije" and once he recuperated he recreated the beasts and called the art form alebrije.

Walking through the almost empty library, I saw a Day of the Dead Altar, and realized the Mexican tradition was being presented for people to see and learn. I think that because of the movie, Coco, more people are now aware of the Celebration of Day of the Dead.


As I was leaving the library I noticed that the entrance had rows and rows of colorful paper called "Papel Picado." The tissue paper has different designs and is used for holidays, decorating, celebrations and for Day of the Dead altars. It is also a beautiful way to liven up walls or doorways.



 

 "Dia de los Muertos is about

never forgetting those who

came before us."

From Coco movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment