Thursday, August 12, 2021

Suicide or Murder

 Not too long ago I watched a Netflix movie on the life of Vincent Van Gogh. I have always liked some of his paintings and I thought seeing the movie would end the puzzle of his death. It didn't because he either committed suicide or young boys playing cowboys may have shot him. He was 37 years old and died on July 29,1890. He lived a sad life and was mentally ill and in an asylum in 1889. I found it interesting that while in the asylum he painted twenty-one works of art while looking through a window. He is now famous for over 2,000 works of art  painted in his last ten years.

 

When I saw that there was an exhibit of his work coming to Denver in a show with huge pictures of his art, I decided to visit the Stanley Market Place where the show was taking place. Reservations were needed and today, August 11, 2021 I entered the huge warehouse to see his work. The paintings were separated into five time periods beginning in 1880 to1890.

I was fortunate to find a place to sit for the 45 minute showing on the giant screens. Animation of a train, chugging along,  moved from one end of the room through all the panels to somewhere behind me. I was impressed at how well the train traveled through various painting along with sound effects. Blossoms falling and birds flying were also impressive!

At the entrance of the show was a picture of when Van Gogh was nineteen years old and he looked so different than his self-portraits.

 

 The background music was perfect as frame after frame flashed on all the walls and sitting on the bench my neck got a workout as I turned to try to see all the screens! Sometimes each panel was of the same picture but other times there were different pictures on each panel giving me a feeling that maybe I was missing something behind me!



I recognized some of his work and was surprised that I had never seen or paid much attention to others.







A person standing in front of one picture gives the perspective of the size of the paintings. What a wonderful and creative way to bring Van Gogh to many observers. The end of the forty-five minute show ended with one, loud gunshot, and I thought that was pretty impressive! Leaving the exhibit I had to go through a room with mirrors and sunflowers. The show could have ended on a sad note after Van Gogh's short life and sadness in his life, but instead, on seeing all the sunflowers multiplied gave me a happy and joyous feeling. A talented soul that in his short, troubled life painted over two thousand works of art!

"I dream my painting

and I paint my dream.

Vincent Van Gogh

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour through your words. I really wish I had been there also! I have been fascinated by Van Gogh for a while. There have been many articles on line in recent weeks, probably because this show has been appearing all over the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I have read, there are many different shows. Some travel from state to state but it is worth seeing!

    ReplyDelete