Friday, August 20, 2021

Yellow Watermelon

 Even though this was not my first time buying a yellow watermelon as previous blogs will show (2016 Watermelon Woes and 2018 Vegetable or Fruit) this year 2021 when I purchased a yellow watermelon plus other items I was shocked when my bill came to $41.98. I figured that paying $9.82 for the watermelon was pretty ridiculous when other grocery stores had them for around $3.00 to $5.00! The test of whether it was worth it would come when I tasted it.

This morning I cut into the yellow watermelon and saw that it was a pale yellow even though the outside looked exactly like a red watermelon. I cut a slice and standing over the sink, I bit into the juicy watermelon. It was sweet and felt sugary on my tongue. It tasted a bit different than a red one but it was still delicious! It was so good it made be think that this cannot be good for me because it must be loaded with sugar!


I  went to the Internet to find out about this wonderful tasting melon! High in Vitamin A and C, can support immune system and skin health, contains Beta Carotene which is an antioxidant that may protect against cancer and eye disease, low calorie count with a high percentage of water to keep you hydrated.

As I read different reports on both red and yellow watermelon I could not see any negative reports on eating watermelon. So I ate a few slices of the delicious yellow melon!

My next thought was that the yellow watermelon would make an excellent salad so back to the Internet I went to find a recipe for a salad with my expensive watermelon!

Yellow watermelon balls
cucumber thinly sliced
finely chopped mint leaves
fig goat cheese
walnuts

It sounded like a neat salad that would be easy to make. Now I need to go shopping for a cucumber, mint, and fig goat cheese and hopefully I won't pay an outrageous price for those items! I am beginning to wonder if I am becoming a high maintenance woman or maybe I had better do my shopping at more economical stores!

"Watermelons are the

smile of summer!"

Unknown

2 comments:

  1. You probably paid by the pound for the watermelon and it is hard to find small ones.Other stores might have just had a special on watermelon for a flat fee...?the goat cheese and fig jam can be a little pricey as well.You could have had all the free mint you wanted from me. I have two kinds in a pot on my patio! Hope you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. it is a pricey salad....the mint was 99 cents!

      Delete