Saturday, January 8, 2022

Chewbacca Is Gone

 I met Chewbacca about 12 years ago when I visited my brother and sister-in-law in Massachusetts in 2010. He had wavy tawny colored fur and I liked him immediately. He was easy to look at plus being a very lovable, friendly Standard Poodle. I remember going with my brother to walk him to a park about a mile away from their home. He loved to romp and play especially when a chocolate-colored lab was at the park. 

When we would sit down for dinner, he stood near my brother waiting for a scrap to be tossed to him. I also remember a couple of cats who liked to hang around when we ate. I remember one dinner when my brother sat and held one of the cats while we ate. My family is a pet loving family and as far as I can remember they have had a dog and a few cats.

This dog was a cuddler. When we relaxed on the couch to watch t.v., he was either at our feet, in my brother's arms and once I saw him try to get into my sister-in-law's lap. He was just too big but he tried anyway! It always amazed me how the cats never bothered him, and I wondered if he thought he was a cat also!


What I remember most about Chewy, as he was called, was his farewell to me. As we were getting my suitcase into the car and we were standing in the kitchen saying good-bye, he stood up on his hind legs, placed his paws on my shoulders, and tucked his head in my neck. He was almost as tall as me when he stood up but a perfect size to say his goodbye.

Speaking with my brother, as he told me of Chewy's last moments, I began to cry. Strange how the heart and mind react without any will of our own. I blubbered something into the phone and realized that my brother was also crying. How difficult it must be for them to lose a faithful companion after fifteen years.

 In my blog dated June 13, 2012, with the title of Dogs In My Life, here is what I wrote:  

Chewbacca: A standard poodle belonging to my brother and sister-in-law. I fell in love with            Chewbacca because it was as if he understood everything. They told me stories of things he does, and I have come to the conclusion that dogs are smart, clever, and understand more than they are given credit. After a visit, I was saying good-bye to Chewbacca and as I got his face in my hands and told him how much I had enjoyed meeting him, he stood up. Standing he was taller than I am, and he gently placed his head on my shoulder. "A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." Josh Billings.


On Thursday, January 6, 2022 a good-bye was said to Chewbacca as he crossed the bridge to go to doggie heaven.

Dogs are not our whole life,

but they make our lives whole."

Roger Caras

No comments:

Post a Comment