Thursday, January 20, 2022

The Sandpits

 In 1946 we drove to a popular place near our home that we called The Sandpits. It was an area of gravel, rocks, sand, and decorative stone. My brother and I liked to run and hide around the huge mountains of gravel. Sometimes, my Mom would pack a lunch and we would have a picnic sitting on the large stones. As I looked through some old pictures I found a picture of my Mom with me and my two brothers. Dad, of course, was behind the camera. 


It's difficult to believe that my Mother was thirty-one years old in the picture, because growing up I never thought about age. All I knew was that she was old since I was only eight years old. My brother was nine and baby David had just been born in 1946. Now that I think about it, I realize she was very young. 

Those were the days when we did everything as a family. Meals, movies, picnics, driving the country roads, parades, working on jigsaw puzzles, visiting relatives, traveling to Denver to see the museums or amusement parks. After graduating from high school, my brother joined a traveling magazine company and left home. Soon after leaving, he joined the Army and was stationed in Germany. I left home after I graduated and moved to Denver to find work. My parents sold the family home and joined me in Denver and we lived together until I got married in 1962. Thinking back, I miss those family together days! Maybe if I had known how lucky I was, I would have enjoyed those days more!

"A person's own family is,

without a doubt, the

greatest wealth that we

will ever possess!"

From the Inernet

No comments:

Post a Comment