Every time I forget something, be it my car in a parking lot, an item in the house, the time of an appointment or why I entered a room, it makes me nervous for fear that I might be getting some form of dementia. But last night I had a dream about preparing for a celebration in a foreign country. Relatives came from out of town, and I was chosen to hold on to envelopes with money. "We don't need the envelopes now so put them in a safe place." A few days later I was asked for the envelopes. I could not remember where I had put them. I searched in my usual places, wondered if St. Anthony worked in dreams, yet I could not find the envelopes. Imagine how frustrating that would be as I moved, lifted, opened drawers, looked under and over things, and no envelopes could be found.
Then I woke up. I should have been relieved that it was a dream, and it didn't matter, but the anxious feeling persisted. Even after twenty minutes had passed, I still wondered where I had put those envelopes. My dream had many parts to it with relatives arguing, decorating, flowers, balloons, and searching. But the looking and trying to remember where I had put them took priority in my dream.
Forgetting is a curious matter in real time but more frustrating in a dream. Once I wake up there is no going back to the same dream for the conclusion. Forgetting is an awful thing, especially in a dream!
I looked up the definition of losing something and found a few reasons for the dream. 1) Kick a habit like smoking, over-eating, low self-esteem, or not understanding those around me. 2) Another item listed was when searching for something it can be the first step in transformation. Neither seemed to apply to me but sometimes I wonder about those around me!
The following night I had another dream of looking for a lost key. I don't remember much about it other than it was at St. Rose Residence. (A place where I lived when I moved to Denver in 1956). Why am I dreaming looking for things? The Internet explained that looking for keys signifies fear of losing control, or my position and status in life. I will see what tonight's dream will be and maybe I can figure out why I am dreaming looking for things and I am happy to know it has nothing to do with forgetting or my memory!
"You are never too old
to set another goal
or to dream another dream."
C.S. Lewis
No comments:
Post a Comment