Yesterday, after mass at Shrine of St. Anne's, a friend I walked to Old Town Arvada to see the German Market place. On our way we encountered some furry animals and I stopped to ask them why they were in costume. "We meet every month on the second Sunday and we dress up for fun," was what I was told. On the Internet I found out that there are many such clubs throughout the world! England, Australia and Canada plus the United States were mentioned as having fur clubs.
Their costumes brought back a memory of when I dressed up in a rented bear costume. Our Christmas party at the office was scheduled on a Saturday before Christmas and I told everyone I would not be attending. But I did go to the party and showed up in my costume. No one could identify the "bear." I really enjoyed dressing up and would have been a perfect candidate to join the Arvada Tails! A friend knowing how much I enjoyed dressing up made me a bear costume that I would drag out every Christmas for my grandchildren. Even though I had fun, I am not sure that the grandkids enjoyed seeing me in the costume. I was told that I had traumatized the kids!
The Arvada Tails began in April, 2016 with six members and has grown to 64 members or more. I borrowed a picture from the Internet and wondered why I had never heard of the furry club.
My friend and I continued our walk in Old Town Arvada and saw a few vendors, mostly jewelry, vintage clothes for sale, and artwork. The ice rink with synthetic ice was a surprise because I had never heard of synthetic ice. I guess it works if it's not cold enough for real ice. A couple of children were skating by hanging on to what looked like an old person's walker. I do not know if people can actually skate on the pretend ice but a friend on Facebook told me that when Covid hit, her hockey playing grandchildren practiced on synthetic ice, so maybe it does work like real thing!
How fun!
ReplyDelete