My daughter is an artist and the medium she prefers is working with gourds. In an article she wrote, she explains her love for gourds.
What are gourds and why I use them as my art medium. Hard shelled gourds are in the same family as pumpkins, cucumbers, squash, luffa and melons. Gourds can be found all over the world and historically have been used for food and water storage, kitchen utensils, tools, toys and musical instruments. Gourds, much like people, come in all shapes and sizes. They each have their own unique beauty, personality and sense of humor.
Typically, all raw (uncleaned) gourds have a layer of hardened mold which is nature's curing process. The mold is what gives the gourd its unique markings. Once I scrub the mold off the gourd, I begin to see its distinctive marks and history.
I choose to work with gourds because they are very versatile. They can be cut, carved, burned (pyrography), and accept all kinds of media. I like that each one is unique and has its own challenges. For example, some gourds are easier to burn than others while others are very thick and can accept cut-outs and relief carving.
If you ever attend an all-gourd show...yes, they exist!...you will be surprised to see how each artist uses the gourd in unique ways to express their vision.
The work my daughter does with gourds amazes me and she has a variety of different art forms. Realistic animals, birds, rabbits, flowers, dogs, cats, Christmas ornaments, fish, and one of my favorites is Our Lady of Guadalupe. (If you wish to see some of her work search for Gourds by Barbara Hallman.)
On December 10, 2022, Spirit of Christ Catholic Community will celebrate Our Lady of Guadalupe feast day by having a Fiesta in her honor. This gourd will be on display along with other artifacts of Our Lady!
"Nature is a continuous
muse and I am especially
inspired by animals."
Barbara Hallman
Your daughter can look at a gourd and see each one's unique qualities and what it should become. People can learn to paint, but it takes an artist to bring out the special qualities that is unique character of what a piece should be.
ReplyDelete