My son's creativeness came out in pottery. In high school he pulled straight A's in art class and his instructor told me, "your son can become a great potter." He won a contest in Jefferson County Schools and the large pot he had created was sold to the House of Green. I would drive to the store and drag my friends to show them the beautiful pot and his first sale. He worked on his pottery until he realized that he had to earn more money and left his creativeness to get a "real" job. My house has many of his pottery and I often wonder if he will return to working with clay and become a famous potter!
My guess would have been that some of the creativeness came from my father. He is the one that got me interested in photography and reading. When I was around seven years old he gave me my first Brownie camera. He explained the position of the sun, shadows and distance when taking a picture. He loved to read and would take me to the library and we would both check out books. He could do anything--plumbing, electrical, or mechanical. He enjoyed Popular Mechanics and working on projects from the magazine. We never called anyone to repair our car, or fix a leak, or build kitchen cabinets, or put in a shower, etc. because he did it all. One of his talents was gardening and we aways had a variety of fresh vegetables.
I asked my father, who I always thought had a talent for drawing crude cartoons, where he thought the artistic talents came from in our family. He didn't hesitate as he responded, "Your mother." That was strange because I never saw my mother draw anything and she never seemed interested in art. He continued, "she could look at something and draw it exactly the same. It amazed me to see her do that because I have never seen anyone else do it."
Who knows if artistic talent is learned or is passed down through genes--I just enjoy looking at the art my children and my brother have created.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
I have the sobriety poster hanging in my entry way! I found at a vintage flea market and absolutely loved it. I was looking for information on the poster and found this blog!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting to hear that my brother's art is in your entry way! Do you live in Colorado? I saw a Japanese movie once and in the background was the Sobriety poster.
ReplyDelete