Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Nudge From God

Sometimes I think God gets exasperated with me and gives me a nudge to point me in the right direction. Once, when I worked at a legal office, I would sometimes be called to interpret for Spanish speaking clients. Legal terms in Spanish were foreign to me and I decided to take some time off and go to Mexico and volunteer in a legal office so I could learn legal terms in Spanish.  About two weeks before I was to leave for Guadalajara, the city suffered a large explosion and a good part of Guadalajara was damaged.  Information we received was that there were rats running all over and that the streets were all torn up so I decided not to travel to Guadalajara. The following weekend I happened to read an article in the Sunday Denver Post about an orphanage in Queretaro and the priest was asking for volunteers to come help with the children.  I called the priest and he gave me information and invited me to come work with the children in Colon, Queretaro. I went and that experience is one of the most fruitful and beautiful I have ever had. I thought I would be giving of my time and skills to the orphanage, but instead I received so much more than I gave! I returned for a month at a time for the next five years. I believe this was a nudge from God.

One day I ran into the interim Director of the Hispanic Office of the Archdiocese of Denver and mentioned to her that I was looking for work. She told me they had just hired someone. Two days later she called me and told me the person had not worked out and if I was still interested. In the mean time I had applied at the Arvada Police Department and passed all the tests -- lie detector, written, oral and typing and was offered a position. I knew God was nudging me! I decided to work at the Hispanic Office even though it was less money because I would be able to use my bilingual skills and would be able to help those in need.

This year, I joined the Young At Hearts group at Spirit of Christ and noticed that there was a photographer going around taking pictures.  Down deep inside, I thought; I'd like to do that, I wonder how she got the position?  After I attended a few functions, the photographer announced she would not be able to continue being the photographer and if there was anyone interested in taking over. (Another nudge?) I spoke with her along with two other women who were interested.  Today I was approached by a few of the board members and asked if I would be the next photographer.  I told them I didn't know because I had not been officially informed.  When the photographer arrived she told me she wanted me to take over and that at the Board meeting a few people had spoken and recommended me.  One was someone I had gone on a pilgrimage to Europe and she remembered my slide show, another was someone who had gone to Chimayo on one of my tours, and another was a book club member who said I was a responsible and reliable person. I am now the photographer for the Young at Heart group.

I believe that God, when he sees me drag my feet, gives me a nudge and pushes me to guide me on the right path.  Sometimes, I may not accept the nudge and I know it is my loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment