I wrote this piece on October 5, 2008. It still holds true for me!
I have an antenna that zeros in on a certain type of individual. The antenna doesn't move if I meet obnoxious, selfish, conceited, know-it-alls, those that try hard to please everyone, or braggarts. It does move when I see persons interested in the welfare of others. I classify these persons as Peace Crops types. In years past they may have worn Birkenstock sandals, guys may have had long hair and beards while gals wore ankle length cotton skirts. How they dressed was not as important as being concerned with righting injustices. When my daughter was in the Peace Corps, I met some of her Peace Corps friends and noticed they all seemed to have one thing in common. They were honest, kind, and wanted to help people that had less than they did. It seemed that most of the young persons came from wealthy families, yet, money did not seem important to them. They could live comfortably in a run-down hut, eat strange foods, and adjust to the many hardships. They treated people with respect and dignity. When most people avert their eyes at seeing a homeless or ragged person, the Peace Corps worker looked into the eyes of the poor and held out a hand to help.
While working in a Legal Aid office I saw attorneys that could have been employed by large law firms and earning more money, but instead, they represented those that could not afford a lawyer. The director of the program was a major Peace Corps type and his actions prompted me to say to him, "You are the epitome of what a good Christian should be..." He was Jewish. He followed the Bible quotation of "Feed the hungry, give shelter to the homeless, help the poor," to the nth degree.
When I volunteered at an orphanage in Mexico, I noticed that most of the volunteers were of the same caliber of those Peace Corps persons who wanted to better the lives of others. The volunteers had a profound commitment to help educate the children and give them a better chance at life.
At a fund raising dinner, I happened to sit next to a man who was running for governor of Colorado. He was dressed in a tuxedo, but I felt drawn to him and liked his attitude and openness. As he chatted, I saw a fairness and interest in others regardless of their social status. My antenna pointed at him but it wasn't until he won the election and became Colorado's governor that I found out that he and his wife had been in the Peace Corps in Africa.
I happened to be watching television one evening and happened to see a light-skinned black man speaking. He spoke of the importance of family and he had a sense of humor. I immediately liked him and what he was saying. My antenna vibrated so I knew he must be a Peace Corps type. I don't recall why he was on the screen but I do know I was impressed and touched by what he was saying. A few years later, I again saw the same man on television and this time he was running for President of the United States! I also learned that after graduating from Harvard Law School he had gone to work as a community organizer instead of taking a high paying position with a prestigious law firm. (He won the election and is now our 44th President of the United States.)
The Peace Corps volunteers, the Legal Aid attorneys, volunteers who help build homes and teach children in 3rd world countries, and community organizers are all cut from a special cloth. Without this type of worker there would be no justice for the poor. I'm sure politicians are trying to do what is right but it seems that the majority are in politics to line their own pockets. Those Peace Corps types are in the world to help, train, guide and inspire those who need the help. To me, these workers are the elite of the world and we need more of them leading our country!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment