What a beautiful Easter mass this morning! The priest in his golden brocade chasuble with a red cross
down his back was striking as he stepped up to the altar. He had neatly combed, salt and pepper hair, with a widow's peak. Oh, I thought, a new priest must be helping out. His voice with an accent sounded familiar and I realized it was the associate pastor who celebrates mass every Sunday. Why did I think the assistant priest was an elderly black man with tight, dark curly hair? This priest was young looking, tan, handsome and not someone I had seen in the past. I was shocked that one eye could make such a big difference! What else had I thought I had seen?
The choir sang the hymns with their whole hearts and soul. The choir director was a balding, middle aged man. I wondered where the previous director could be with his wonderful voice. He had looked to me to be in his thirties if not younger. Now, as I kept looking, I realized that it was the same choir director from the past. Now I could tell that the choir director was older than I had thought! What a difference one good eye makes!
Looking up at the large screen I could see the words to the songs clearly. Today I joined the choir in all the hymns. I have been silent for the past few years because I could not see the words. Something else I noticed was sometimes I had trouble understanding the priest because of his accent. Today I saw that his words were on the screen. His homily could be read for those that had trouble hearing or understanding. How many Sundays did I sit wondering what a priests was saying when if I could have been able to see I would have seen the words on the screen. One eye was making a big difference in what I could see!
Thank you dear God for my one good eye. If I am already seeing differences in the before and after, I can only imagine how much more I will see when my right eye is fixed!
No comments:
Post a Comment