Monday, April 2, 2012

A Trail of Disaster

Yesterday, I went shopping at Target and the first thing I did was to pull the red cart out of another cart. The second thing was pulling the disinfectant towel out of its container. Instead of one towel, six towels slid out of the slot.  I wiped down the handle of the cart but before I could throw the towels into the trash, the towels slipped out of my hand and fell to the floor.  Since I cannot bend below my waist due to my cataract operation, I used my foot to shove the towels near the trash container. The little pile of white towels would have to stay on the floor until some kind soul decided to put them in the trash.

In the shampoo aisle, I went up and down the aisle looking at all the different types of shampoo and conditioners. There was something for all types of hair: split-ends, gray, dry, oily, thinning,  and colored. Some were fragrant free, organic, for dandruff, or tearless. I wondered if something I had read about shampoo and conditioners being the same except for the price was true? As I picked up a double bottle wrapped in cellophane, one of the bottles slipped out of the wrapping and landed on the floor.  Again, using my foot I pushed the bottle under the counter.  I hoped no one was watching me.

The 75% off rack attracted me and as I looked through blouses and sweaters, a blouse slipped off the hanger and to the floor.  I left it there.  In the book department I glanced at a few books but when I went to put the book back on the shelf, I hit the shelf  knocking the book out of my hands.  The book stayed where it landed.

After paying, I headed straight for the car expecting the Cleanup Patrol to come running after me to tell me to return to the store and replace everything I had dropped.  No one did and when I arrived home I juggled my sack to get my keys in the right hand to open the door. The keys fell to the cement porch.  I slipped off my sandal and was able to pick up the key ring with my toe, bring it up closer to my waist, and grab the keys. Once inside, I noticed a bobby pin on the floor.  I tried picking it up with my toes but it was too small for my toes to pick up.  I ended up getting a dust pan with a long handle and sweeping up the bobby pin. A notebook on the floor took a bit more thought.  I sat on a chair, using both feet I picked up the notebook and brought it up near my lap where I was able to grab it with my hands. My toes and feet have now become an extension of my hands!


What surprises me is how many things fall to the floor on a daily basis and I never noticed because it was easy to bend and pick things up. I know my eye operation does not make me drop things more than usual. I do know I have become more aware of things landing on the floor! The three things I can rely on are my feet, a long handled dust pan and broom or just allowing objects to stay on the floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment