Monday, June 17, 2013

Awakened By A Strong Smell

Last night, I was awakened by a smell that I associate with skunks. The pungent odor filled my nostrils.  I sniffed around my bed, thinking it could be my bed covers. It wasn't. I lifted my head and sniffed the air. Could a skunk have sneaked into the house? With a scoffing noise and rolling of my eyes, knowing there was no way a skunk could get into my house, I fell back to sleep with the faint odor still surrounding me.
 
By morning, I had forgotten all about the smell and opened the door to my bedroom.  The smell was stronger and seemed to be all over the house. When we moved into our home in 1965, there were empty lots all around our property, and the smell of skunk was constant.  Either a car would hit a skunk or a skunk would meet a fox, dog or cat and send his spray flying. Once the area filled up with homes, it had been around thirty years that I had smelled the strong skunk smell.  I figured the skunks had moved on to other empty fields and my neighborhood was safe from the stinky beasts.

Evidently I was wrong.  Last night there was a skunk somewhere near and because I had one window open, the smell entered the house and filled the house with its disgusting smell.  It surprised me that such a strong smell, could come in from outside and fill every room in my house.  I did some spraying with Lysol. I lit a vanilla candle. I opened all my windows. I looked on the Internet to see what suggestions might be given to remove the odor. Didn't find anything helpful.

As I write, I no longer smell anything and I figure the smell is gone or I have gotten used to it and no longer smell it.  The test will be when I go outside and reenter my house.  I will then know if the smell is gone!

If there was a skunk around the neighborhood, I hope it has decided to move on, far away from this area!


"Like a dead skunk  in the middle of the road,
 it stinks to the high heavens!" 
Bill White

No comments:

Post a Comment