The Total of Remembering
I remember
green eyes,
a large nose
and white teeth.
I remember
after-shave lotion,
gnarled hands
and two strong arms.
I remember
bickering,
no argument being won,
and a dancer.
I remember
combing hair,
old cars,
and country roads.
I remember
a large hand holding mine,
a jean leg
and leather shoes.
I remember
a shake of the head,
a threat with a belt,
and a disapproving look.
I remember a quiet talk,
a fast walk,
and going to the mountains.
I remember
a deep voice,
a rumbling laughter
and a loud song.
I remember
a shiny buckle,
a leather belt,
and a handkerchief.
I remember
dark hair,
a favorite chair
and a trip to the zoo.
I remember
a harmonica being played
checking out library books
and black and white photographs.
I remember
learning to swim,
a quick way to do math
and playing games.
I remember
carnival rides,
watching parades,
and a rodeo.
I remember
a large garden,
fresh vegetables
and Popular Mechanics.
And one day, I remember
adding up all my
remembering and
there he was...my father!
E. Moscoso
June 19, 1981
with updates on June 16, 2013
No comments:
Post a Comment