Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Our Lady of Guadalupe
Tonight at midnight, many Mexican singers and movie stars will gather at the Basilica to greet our Lady with song. Every year I try to stay up to watch the programs honoring Our Lady but have only watched about five shows. Sleep over comes me and I am not able to stay awake to see the celebrations. Maybe tonight I will watch the whole program.
I have visited the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City four times and each time I was impressed by the devotion of the people. The first time I saw the original church it was in a large plaza and people walked on their knees along the rough stones. I was told it was for a promise granted, to give thanks or for penance. At that time, part of the church was sinking and I was told that a new church would be built.
The next time I traveled to visit the shrine, the new Basilica had been completed and it was a huge circular building that could hold 50,000 persons. On that occasion I traveled with Archbishop Chaput and about 250 other persons. Because the group was so large, pilgrims were housed in different hotels, each bus was color coordinated and people from other various parts of the United States joined the Denver group. During the month of December, around the 12th, I was fortunate to take two separate groups to celebrate the feast day of Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe in Mexico City.
What amazed me were the masses of persons traveling from all over Mexico and the world. Those coming from far away would rest where ever a spot could be found. Many rested near the doors and in order for my group to enter the Basilica, we had to step over the many bodies resting near the entrances. Some Matachines, Indians in costume, danced to honor Our Lady. The constant beat of drums could be heard all day and night along with the rhythmic bells tied around the Matachines' ankles. There was no need to walk because the momentum of the people moved everyone along until we reached two moving sidewalks that passed in front of the original tilma (cloak) with the image of Our Lady. People would fall to their knees when ever the spirit moved them.
I wish I could have the kind of faith that I saw among the many persons visiting the Basilica. She is the Patroness of the Americas and some day, maybe I will have the same strong devotion that I saw in Mexico.
In addition, I did stay up and watch the program which began in Chicago, Illinois where it looked very cold because everyone was bundled in blankets. When the program moved to Mexico City, the singing was beautiful and everything looked pretty much as I remembered it. People carrying decorated pictures or statues as they moved slowly through the Basilica. The exception, which I found a bit strange, were the many persons holding cell phones above their heads. Somehow, it seemed disrespectful!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment