Kindness, when not expected, comes as a pleasant surprise. Standing in line at the post office, the clerk called out "next." I struggled with a heavy box I was mailing while pushing my walker. The only way I could move the box was to shove it along an aisle counter until I could reach the clerk. I pushed my walker in front of me, gave the box a shove, and slowly made my way to the clerk. Even though my ankle has not yet healed from being broken, I had to get the package mailed.. A lady in line, seeing my struggles, left the line and came around to my side of the aisle counter. "Here, let me help you get this box over to the clerk." She picked up the box, carried it over to the counter and placed it in front of the postal clerk. I thanked her, though I am not sure that the lady knew how much I appreciated her help. A random act of kindness goes a long way.
Carry out a random
act of kindness,
with no expectation of reward,
safe in the knowledge
that one day someone
might do the same for you."
Princess Diana
After getting my package mailed, I hobbled to my car parked in the handicapped zone. I backed out and a car blocked my exit. A large SUV was trying to get into the lot. The driver, trying to get into the post office lot, had a white beard and a red shirt and he looked liked Santa Claus. How appropriate, I thought. I smiled at the driver, hoping he could see that a car was blocking me and I could not move, but his face turned into an ugly sneer as he mouthed something at me and rolled his eyes. I could tell whatever he was saying was not pleasant. When I was finally able to move, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a hand gesture. How rude, I thought, if he is pretending to be Santa, he should practice being more patient and loving!
"People who fly into a rage
always make a bad landing."
Will Rogers
I am convinced that the world would be a better place if there would be more "ho, ho, ho" and less "bah-humbug!"
No comments:
Post a Comment