I told her that his name was Rudolfo Anaya. She said, "That's my husband's cousin, and they grew up
And then, a few days ago she sent me a DVD, by David Ethan Ellis (2014), of Rudolfo Anaya's life. The video had been shown on television but I had missed seeing it when it aired. After watching the DVD, I liked the author even more. As I looked at the silver-haired writer and heard his reason for writing about New Mexico I now knew more about my favorite author. I believe that my background, of having parents from New Mexico, let me identify with much of what he says in his stories.
The video informs the viewers that "New Mexico is a spiritual place for artists and writers." Which explains why it is such a mecca for artists. Rudolfo Anaya wrote Bless Me Ultima and it was rejected by many publishers. When it was finally published by Quinto Sol Publications it became the most read Hispanic novel and has had twenty-one printings. He is one of the first Spanish-American authors to "make it."
Anaya fears that the beautiful Hispanic culture is being lost and young people have no idea of their history or background. "Our culture has its own legends, folklore and mythology where people can see their faith, family roots, traditions, ceremonies and ties to the land." He talks of how the Hispanic culture is tied to the earth and the importance of family, tradition and history. He has written Hispanic folk tales into children's books because he wants to impart stories with moral, educational and virtuous actions in his stories. There is a value system in his stories and the stories are not just for entertainment.
In the video his wife mentions that "he may have been put on this earth to be a messenger by telling his stories and letting people know about his past through his writing." He believes in "curanderas;" women who heal by natural means and rely on wild plants to cure people.
He was born in Pastura and lived in Santa Rosa which are places I recognize because I have cousins who live there. My great-grandmother is buried in Pastura. In speaking to his cousin-in-law, I felt very close to Rudolfo Anaya, almost as if he was part of my family. It will probably be as close as I will ever get to such a wonderful writer.
I did not realize that he has also written children's books that are entertaining, are colorfully illustrated and have a moral to them.
After reading his stories, watching the movie and seeing the documentary on his life, I realize what a special writer Rudolfo Anaya is and how his writings come from his Hispanic heart!
No comments:
Post a Comment