Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Welcome Chimayo Pilgrims

Yesterday, a place mat that was given to me a few years ago, came to mind. It is of a mother with her children. The place mat was given to me after one of the pilgrimages to New Mexico when I was told, "When we are on this journey, you remind us of a mother with all her children."

In 1964, Helen Cordero of the Cochita tribe in New Mexico,
made the first storyteller figure. It was of her grandfather
surrounded by his grandchildren. Since then,
over 300 potters in 13 villages have created story teller figures. 

This year I again made a journey to New Mexico with 41 pilgrims. Today, a luncheon was planned at the Olive Garden to see everyone again and to reminisce about our trip. Not everyone was able to attend but those at the luncheon sat at a long banquet table. I made a video of our trip and it played repeatedly for those that wanted to see themselves on the screen! After the priest blessed the food, we were ready to eat! The waiters were attentive and efficient, the food was good and everyone appeared to enjoy the luncheon amid lots of laughter and chatting.

 To top the luncheon off, dessert was a chocolate cake with a mousse filling!





I certainly did feel like a mother with all my children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment