Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Snow Spoils The Day



One of the highlights of the Young At Heart group from Spirit of Christ Catholic Community is the Christmas get together for the group. This year promised to be a joyful and fun luncheon with Pomona Carolers, an Ugly Sweater Contest, and Santa Claus. The food prepared by volunteers would have been exceptional  and everyone would have enjoyed the creative decorations. It would have been a wonderful way to begin the Christmas season by the 55+ group.

But it wasn't to be. Snow began falling late last night and continued this morning. Weather reports were bad. Accidents all over the metro area. And the snow continued to fall. A call between a couple of members of the executive committee and a decision was made. The lunch would be cancelled. How do you let 200+ members know? One way is a call to the church to find out if an activity has been canceled. On my smart phone I had a list of about thirty-six persons and I called them to let them know. Most responded with, "I wasn't planning on getting out in this weather." Feeling quite modern and up to date, I used Facebook to let people know that the lunch had been canceled. Spirit of Christ Facebook would also put it on their web site and Flocknote.


Some questions I was asked were: "Will the luncheon be rescheduled?" There would be no way to get another slot on the church calendar. "Gee, I have my sweater all decorated and ready to go." Save it for next year!  "I am glad it was canceled because I do not like to be out in the snow." God's will be done! 

As I wrote my blog I remembered photos of other past Christmases celebrated by Young at Heart. I will share a few of  the pictures of past celebrations since we cannot be together today!




 Merry Christmas to all and a 
Happy, Healthy and Blessed New Year.

1 comment:

  1. Was sorry it was cancelled, but I really didn't want to go out in this weather either!

    ReplyDelete