"Why don't you ever take a bus to Cripple Creek?" I was asked by some of my monthly gamblers that go to Blackhawk. "I don't know," I said, "I have never done it but I can plan a trip if you want to go."
About forty persons said they were interested in going to gamble in Cripple Creek.
The Internet was my first stop. I learned that Cripple Creek is a former gold mining camp at the base of Pikes Peak. The town is about 50 miles from Colorado Springs. Now, visitors try their luck at gambling instead of digging for gold.
My first call was to gather information about the casinos in the quaint mountain town. I inquired about promotions they might have for a group of about fifty persons. After getting information from the casinos I contacted a few bus companies. The lowest price would cost about $27 per person if I had fifty passengers.
I began advertising the trip in the bulletin and by word of mouth. Then the bad news. Many of who said they would go began cancelling. I put a blurb in the church bulletin that the trip would be cancelled if not enough persons signed up. What frustrations! Some would sign up, some would cancel, some wanted to go but thought it was too far, some could not sit for such a long trip and no money was coming in.
Those that wanted to go and paid their money began praying that the trip would be a go. My friends would talk about the trip to their friends. I even spent time after mass inviting people and telling them about the trip. I began to think that I might need to cancel the trip.
In the meantime I called other bus companies and found one for less money. I would now need less persons and once again I became excited. I decided that I would pay the remainder of the money from my own pocket if I did not get enough persons. A friend, who really wanted to go, said she would split the cost if we did not get enough passengers. I hated disappointing those that were ready to go.
Slowly, people began to get interested. One day I got four persons who paid and signed up. Calls started to come in and when I had a few persons over my quota, that made me happy!
It is true that people like to wait until the last minute because calls are now coming in and the trip is about a week away. A I told those late callers, "Your money is what reserves a seat on the bus, so get it in as soon as possible." I also know that no matter how much we plan, if God has other plans we may not be going. I recall when I was ready to take a group to New Mexico and fell and broke my ankle and could not go. I now tell everybody I talk to, "I live my live like an alcoholic, one day at a time!"
"In the past you dug for gold
to become rich;
now casinos are the mines
if you get a machine
that is hot and not cold!"
E. Moscoso
No comments:
Post a Comment