Monday, August 8, 2016

Fun Friday

On August 5, 2016, Holy Trinity Parish opened their three day Fun Fest. I decided to go on the first day because two priests I know would be playing in the band called the "Genuflectones." The clouds were grey and stormy looking and everyone prayed that it would not rain. I found out that three priests were playing that evening. Nice to know they can play oldies and current rock tunes and my guess is that they can also play religious music but tonight it was all rock and roll!

When a friend and I arrived there were already people milling around at the many booths. We decided to get a snack before playing games or listening to the music. I had a buttery corn on the cob and she had a sugary sopapilla. As I ordered my corn,  I watched a man put mayonnaise, cheese, chili powder, and salt on his and it reminded me of Mexico where putting those ingredients is a common practice. As I took a bite out of my corn, the grease landed on my leg of my favorite pants. Gee whiz, now I would have to walk around with greasy dark spots on my clothes. What if those spots would not come out?  "When you get home, just put dish water soap and rub the grease away," my friend told me.


Before long I forgot all about the spots on my pants because I began tapping my feet in time to the music. Some people got up and danced to the peppy music.  This is when I miss having a dancing partner. After listening to a few tunes we decided to go play games at our favorite booth; the Country Store. Tickets are purchased and a wheel is spun and if the wheel stops at one of your numbers, you are a winner! Another friend had already won a salami and I put down my $2 for five chances to win and I did win a salami after a few tries.





I went wandering around the booths while
my friend continued playing until she also won a salami and a chunk of cheese. I thought five numbers was a bit much if the church intended to make any money and believe that three numbers is a better money maker. But, what the heck, the five numbers gave more people a chance to win!

What a pleasant surprise when I saw other friends. It was fun chatting with them, enjoying the music as it played in the background, watching people try their luck at Pickles while they enjoyed eating the different foods that were being sold.

The evening was pleasant and it did not rain! I hope that the next two days the Fun Fest will continue to be dry without any rain.

What a wonderful evening seeing people that had recently gone on our journey to Chimayo and being able to reminisce about the trip. I do love these church bazaars!

No comments:

Post a Comment