Wednesday, August 17, 2016

International Rosary

Sitting next to me a lady prayed the rosary in Spanish, I was saying it in English and the majority of the people in attendance prayed and sang in Italian. I attended the rosary at a home where the traveling Blessed Mother statue was visiting. The large statue goes from home to home and people gather around to sing and pray.  I thought it was a nice touch to have those that wished state their intentions.




The altar had been decorated with many colorful flowers and was the center of attention as twenty women and a few men gathered around to pray. A large angel stood at attention by the altar! The scene brought memories of when I was a small child and happened to visit my grandmother. I tried to stay away around five in the evening because my grandmother, two aunts, three cousins and neighbors would gather in a room that had a large, tall chest of drawers with many holy religious statues. Every saint imaginable would be on top of the dresser and a candle would be flickering in a glass holder. The rosary would be said plus many other prayers. If I began to doze off I would get an elbow in my side. The difference between then and now was that last night we sat in chairs and when I was growing up we knelt!



After prayers were done, it became a loud social hour. I could see that Italians know how to enjoy themselves! Water, lemonade, and coffee along with sweet breads were served. At one point we all held hands, swayed to the music while the majority sang in Italian. The songs sounded happy and lively. When a fast waltz was played one of the men and I danced and everyone applauded. I heard a lady say, "She really likes to dance." And she was right, I do.

I suppose if Our Blessed Mother was looking at the group, she would have been pleased to see so much happiness, love and peace in the group. If only the whole world could get along as the group last night.  It would be such a wonderful world!

"For where two or three
are gathered in my name,
there I am in the midst of them."
Matthew 18:20


No comments:

Post a Comment