Monday, August 15, 2016

One Never Knows

This morning when I woke up I could see my bedroom bright with sunlight. I turned on my side, stretched and breathed deeply. What did this day have in store for me? I could get up and blog, do laundry, water my lawn or go to mass. As I lay in my cozy bed contemplating what I should do I thought that today was a holy day of obligation. Then I remembered the priest saying that because it fell on a Monday it no longer was a day when we had to go to mass.  In the past the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary used to be a holy day of obligation.

I got myself together and drove to the church where the parking lot was filled with cars. It was almost like a Sunday. You see, I told myself, you are not the only one following the old traditions. The chapel had some people but it wasn't overflowing. Why were all those cars in the parking lot? the lady sitting next to me told me that there was a retreat going on in the church and that was why the parking lot was full.

About eight persons walked in and took their place at the front of the chapel. Then, they began to sing. What a wonderful choir and in the small chapel they sounded like a choir of angels. The altos and the sopranos blended their voices to sing praises to Our Blessed Mother.   I got teary eyed because I was so thankful I had decided to come to mass. Otherwise, I would not have heard the beautiful music. Even the priest's vestments of white and red made the mass seem extra special.

Sometimes, well maybe most times, I get the feeling that my life is directed by someone else. Today
Our Blessed Mother had a hand in getting me to mass and starting my day in a good mood.


"Let us enter this week in deep prayer
to Our Blessed Mother, who serves us
with her motherly mediation and advocacy.
She is our Queen Mother."
From the Internet


No comments:

Post a Comment