Thursday, November 11, 2021

An Unfulfilled Craving

 For a few days I have been craving sauerkraut, that vinegary tasting shredded cabbage.  Yesterday I purchased a jar at the grocery store and could hardly wait to get home to eat some. I planned to eat it right out of the jar; just plain sauerkraut!


After putting my groceries away, I got the jar and tried twisting the lid. No luck. I then got a large spoon and tapped all around the lid. The lid would not budge. I poured hot water along the rim of the lid and it still would not open. I tapped the jar on the counter but the lid refused to open. I strained, held my breath, used a square rubber opener for traction and nothing moved. I held the jar in every position I could while trying to twist the lid and it remained unmovable. My hand and wrist cried out for mercy and even though I could see the sauerkraut inside the jar, I wondered if I would ever get to taste it.

The jar now sits in my pantry. If it could think it probably knew it had won the battle. Today is another day and I will try again. In the meantime, my craving is still there! 

"I've ordered some German food

through a mobile app.

The sauerkraut has arrived,

the wurst is yet to come."

From the Internet

No comments:

Post a Comment