Mystery Object
Did you guess? It happens to be the patch that was put over my eye after cataract surgery!
March 26, 2012: This morning I had a friend drive me to where my cataract surgery would take place.
I checked in and was sent to Minor Procedures on the 2nd floor. When my name was called, I was taken to a large room where surgery patients wait in the many curtained cubicles. My vitals were taken, drops were put in my eye, a small pill was placed underneath my tongue and a flimsy cap adorned my head. Once ready, I was placed in a weird contraption that looked like a cross between a Segway and a wheel chair. I was rolled to the operating room and put on a bed.
An extremely bright light above me, a small tent taped over my face, hushed voices between doctor and nurses, a cozy, warm blanket placed over me and without feeling a thing the operation was over. I was taken back to the cubicle and given crackers and juice. When I finished eating my snack, I got a wheel chair ride to the front door where my friend waited for me with the car. My instructions were: No bending below the waist. No lifting or straining. Continue eye drops.
I felt so good that we went to an I-Hop for breakfast. A man came up to me and asked if the patch over my eye was due to cataract surgery. I told him it was and he said, "I had it done a few weeks ago, and in three days you'll be back to normal!" That night, I slept without any pain or discomfort.
Since I can't bend, I have become quite adept using my feet to pick up anything I drop. I also have perfected a ballet knee bend to pick up something not on the floor but below my waist. The following day I had a post-op meeting with the doctor and she was pleased with my progress. She asked if my eye felt gritty or if I saw flashes of light and I told her I haven't felt or seen anything out of the ordinary. New instructions: Wear the shield while sleeping. Keep water out of the eye. No rubbing the eye. The addition of another eye drop to the two I am already putting in my eye.
Already, after two days, I notice that when I close one eye, the new eye can see things sharp and clear and not the fuzziness I used to see. The Catch-22 is that my glasses are not the correct prescription for my new eye and I can't order glasses until the second eye goes through the same procedure. For a few months I will be a bit cockeyed, but I look forward to when both my eyes are functioning at 100%!
No comments:
Post a Comment