I stole the title of this blog from the ad of the Denver Modernism Show. The show at the National Western Complex - Expo Hall featured a variety of photography, paintings, furniture, lamps, clothing, jewelry, records, hats, magazines, toys and other vintage items. I found myself becoming depressed at the thought of how many things I had sold at a garage sale that possibly could have gone for more money!


Chrome dinette and chair sets just like I grew up with, were selling for over $300. I remember seeing the black ceramic leopards but it wasn't in my home. I just remember seeing the slinky cat sometime in my past!
Jewelry like my mother used to wear, large gaudy pieces, seemed pricey to me.

I had sold a lot of her costume jewelry for ten cents a piece and here they were selling for fifty dollars and up. End tables like we used to have, radios my dad would have around the house to work on, and simple lamps brought back many memories. The red shoes and red purse reminded me of how, when we dressed up, we had to be color-coordinated.


Silver, metal Christmas trees were the in thing while everyone seemed to have a skinny-legged end table.


The cars looked beautiful with their sleek lines and leather upholstery but we never owned the kind of a cars in today's display because they would have been too expensive. It was fun looking at them and hearing people comment on how "they had one just like it, only it was blue." Or, "I really had a good time in a car just like this one." The Rolls Royce was impressive and since this was probably the closest I would ever get to one, I took a picture of the hood ornament.
Looking at all the "stuff" was a pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon and to reminisce on the past!
No comments:
Post a Comment