

While at Costco today, August 29, 2013, I saw Halloween candy and costumes. I thought it was pretty early to be displaying Halloween stuff, after all, it was still two months away. The costumes were neatly hung and the candy was all in order. I remembered being at a store after Halloween last year and costumes were on the floor, spooky toys were scattered all over and everything was reduced by 75%. The moving displays, like hands in bowls or talking tombstones, were no longer working and everything looked like a pile of junk! Maybe shoppers with children do need to do their shopping early but I wondered how long everything will continue to be so neatly displayed!

And then, what should I encounter on the next two aisles? Christmas candles, Christmas wrapping paper, Christmas decorations, Christmas cards, and Christmas music playing over the speakers. A lady stopped in front of me, looked at me and rolled her eyes as she said, "Can you

believe this? Am I really hearing Jingle Bells? In August?"

I replied with, "I remember when the day after Thanksgiving was when all the Christmas things came out. This is the earliest I have ever seen Christmas advertised." She shook her head, and I shook mine as we continued our shopping!
I went up and down the Christmas aisle looking for something to show me the real meaning of Christmas. Baby Jesus was no where to be seen. The thought that Christmas did not mean the birth of Christ to many people, saddened me. I wondered how many children even know the true meaning of Christmas. Even Dr. Seuss in How the Grinch stole Christmas says, "Christmas doesn't come from a store, maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more."
"How many observe Christ's Birthday!
How few his precepts!
O 'tis easier to keep holidays
than commandments!
Benjamin Franklin
No comments:
Post a Comment