Friday, August 23, 2013

Faithful Love


Never having met the man, how could my love last for over 59 years? The warm sensuous feeling that comes over me when I see him in a photograph or in a movie is still as strong today as it was in the 50's. In those days I wanted to watch my idol on t.v. but my mother would not allow it. Ed Sullivan, a favorite variety show of the time, was turned off when it was announced that he would perform. To my argument that "everyone I knew would be watching him" her response was:   "He is nasty. Que cochinadas. It is a sin to watch how he moves."
 
Years later, on a repeat show, I did see him and I did not think he was nasty.  In fact, I loved him even more! His sideburns, his crooked smile, his voice and his eyes.  How it would frustrate my mother when I would put a 45 record on to play the same song over and over again.  My favorite song was I Want You, I Need You and I Love You. Many times, my mother would enter the room and turn off the record player with "ya basta!"

A regret I will always have is that I never went to see him in concert.  He came to Denver a few times and I would read how generous he was with some of our police officers by giving them brand new Cadillacs! A friend of mine had two tickets and invited me to one of his shows when he was in town.  My excitement could barely be contained, until the night before the show when she told me that her sister wanted to go see him and she had given her my ticket.  She tried to make it up to me by bringing me a large poster of Elvis.  I put the poster up and enjoyed seeing his handsome face. His entering the Army and having his hair cut off saddened me, yet he never lost his striking good looks. I saw most of his movies and even though the acting wasn't the best, I still enjoyed seeing him.

On one of his last appearances, I watched him on television and was surprised to see how puffy his face looked and how he had gained weight. He did not look good and I believe it was the last concert he gave.  Soon after that concert the news reported his death at 42 years old in 1977. Prescription drug overdose had stopped his heart.  Often, I thought, like many others, that maybe he had not died and one day he would sing again.  I'm still waiting! He would now be 78 years old!

In 2010 I went to Los Angeles, California to see a traveling museum of Elvis' photos, clothing and music.  His songs played over speakers as people enjoyed seeing the many mementos.






No comments:

Post a Comment