Friday, August 9, 2013

The Wrong Size

 "Almost all absurdity of conduct
arises from the imitation of those 
we cannot resemble."
Samuel Johnson

Teenagers know more than anyone else.  Even when it comes to wrecking someone's feet. Meaning mine! It was my 9th grade graduation and my whole class was moving on to high school.  It seemed that everyone would buy a new outfit, including shoes with a heel, to hide underneath a white gown. Some of us would wear nylons for the first time and some would have an uncomfortable night, not because of excitement, but because of the large curlers stuck in our hair. We wanted to look our best on our special day!

On Saturday my mother took me to a shoe store (don't recall the name) and upon arriving there were already three other girls from the 9th grade buying shoes.  We waited our turn but it was enough to hear the other girls give their shoe size of  6 1/2. I wondered how all three girls could have the same size foot. The salesman asked me what size I wore.  I knew I wore about an 7 1/2 or even an 8, but I said "seven."  Even then I was embarrassed that my foot was bigger than the other girls.


The white shoe had a small heel and a small bow on the top.  They were cute and I liked them but they felt tight on my foot. My thought was that I could stretch them out after I got home. Stuffing rags inside the shoes and wearing them for short periods did not stretch out the shoes.

Graduation was a blur because all I remember was how much my feet hurt. I am not sure, but I may have limped to the stage to receive my certificate. Once the ceremonies were over, we were served chili and cinnamon rolls in the gym. Instead of having a parent pick us up, my two friends and I decided to walk the few blocks home.  The first thing we did was to take our shoes off! What a relief to be out of those too tight shoes! Arriving home the nylons were in shreds and I remember my mother asking, "If you could take off your shoes, why did you not take off the nylons also?"

To this day, I do not like white shoes and I learned that I need to wear what I am comfortable in and not to wear something just to be like everyone else!

"It takes courage to grow up
and become who you really are."
e.e.cummings

No comments:

Post a Comment